DATES IN WINCHESTER'S HISTORY
1633 Charlestown is granted territory which includes
a wild and unsettled tract of land known as Waterfield.
1638 Waterfield is surveyed. John Harvard is granted
120 acres of land (at the corner of Washington and Forest Streets);
Rev. Zachariah Symmes is granted 300 acres (at Main and Bacon
1640 Waterfield becomes known as Charlestown Village;
Edward Converse builds the first house (at the corner of Main
and Converse Place).
1642 Woburn is incorporated from the area known as
1676 Samuel Richardson's wife and children are massacred
1803 Middlesex Canal is completed, connecting the
Merrimack River with the Charles River.
1835 The Boston and Lowell Railroad is built, its
route paralleling that of the Canal.
1840 The South Woburn Church is formed, the first
meeting house within the limits of present-day Winchester.
1850 Winchester is incorporated.
1852 The Middlesex Canal closes to business.
1887 The town hall building is built.
1894 Manchester Field is laid out as a park in the
center of town.
1896 Electric streetcars are introduced in Winchester.
1928 A bill to adopt Representative Town Meeting
1947 The course of the Aberjona River is altered.
1955 After nearly 75 years of discussion and controversy, construction of the railroad overpass is begun.
Return to Winchester History page