Throughout the House
- DO install a smoke detector on every floor.
- DO plan your escape routes in case fire
- DON'T smoke in bed.
- DON'T place heaters within three feet of flammable materials
- DON'T use heaters to dry clothes.
- DON'T use extension cords with portable heaters.
- DON'T leave heaters unattended or go to sleep while they are on.
- DO unplug heaters after you turn them off.
- DON'T put ashtrays on chair or sofa arms.
- DON'T run electrical cords under rugs, over nails or in high traffic areas.
- DON'T leave unattended cigarettes burning in ashtrays.
- DON'T staple electrical cords to walls or otherwise pierce the insulation.
- DON'T leave food unattended on the stove. If you must leave the kitchen,
take a wooden spoon or a potholder as a reminder.
- DON'T cook wearing sleeves that can dangle near the burners.
- DON'T use your oven to heat your home.
- DON'T let grease build up on your stove or oven.
- DON'T let crumbs build up in your toaster.
- DON'T overload electrical outlets with appliances.
- DON'T let curtains hang near your range.
- DO check the kitchen before bed. Oven off? Coffee pot unplugged?